Garage doors are one of the most used elements of any home in Edmonton, and therefore their rapid depreciation should not come as a surprise to anyone. However, the unfortunate fact is that garage door maintenance often is overlooked until the impending doom knocks at the door. As useful as a garage door is, it is also equally expensive to repair or replace a garage door. However, there is light at the end of the tunnel as you can solve many of the crises with professional preventative care and maintenance
A common question that lingers among the minds of homeowners in Edmonton is how frequently they should get their garage door maintained! In a very black-and-white context, garage doors should be maintained by experts twice a year, but multiple variables also influence the decision.
To begin with, professional garage door maintenance should be done at least twice a year. However, if you are doing the maintenance yourself at home, it is vital to evaluate and maintain the door several times throughout the year. Now that we know the ideal period to maintain a garage door let us look at the veritable importance of the activity.
Top 5 reasons why regular garage door maintenance is important
Regular maintenance is crucial to keep intact the health, longevity, and functioning of your garage door.
- Safety – Regular maintenance ensures that your garage door does not become a hazard to you, your family, or your pets. Many people are injured every year owing to garage door accidents. Moreover, your vehicles could also get damaged due to a faulty garage door. As such, timely maintenance helps you dodge such untoward incidents.
- Increased Life Expectancy – Garage doors in Canada are an investment as they are expensive. Therefore, as a homeowner, you can extend its lifespan with regular maintenance and care. Failing to have your garage door checked can culminate in problems such as faulty sensors, misaligned tracks, unlubricated springs, and much more, resulting in long-term damage to the entire garage door system. As such, the lifespan of the door decreases. However, by opting for regular maintenance, you make sure that your garage door sustains up to its optimal years.
- Convenience – A garage door is the most used entrance and exit of a residence; a faulty door can create quite the hassle in your everyday life. Precaution is better than cure, and you must take proactive steps to prevent any hassles from occurring in your everyday life due to a malfunctioning garage door by choosing regular and timely maintenance.
- Avoid Burning a Hole in Your Pocket – A broken or irreparably damaged garage door requires repair or replacement, either of which can burn a hole in your pocket. In most cases, garage door replacement results from slacking in the maintenance department. If you believe that you are saving money by avoiding maintenance of your garage door, the trust is the absolute opposite.
- Increase Your Property Value – A garage is an essential component of a house and can, in fact, increase or decrease the property value. In addition, a regularly maintained and well taken care of garage door can potentially heighten your property’s value during resale.
So, there we have it, the top five reasons why regular maintenance of a garage door is imperative.
Tips and tricks to maintain your garage door at home
A bi-annual garage door inspection and maintenance service from professionals in Edmonton are crucial. However, you should be aware of the nitty-gritty of your door to ensure that you are taking the proper care at home, as well.
- Regular Inspection – As a homeowner, your prime responsibility is to evaluate your garage door in a timely fashion and look for apparent problems even if they do not prevent operation. For example, you should check for loud and unusual noises, vibrations, leaks, cracks, and so forth.
- Perform Safety Tests – Another way to keep your garage door running smoothly is to perform safety tests regularly. For instance, a garage door balance test enables you to check the door’s alignment and seek immediate professional help if there is any disbalance. Likewise, a door photo sensor evaluation will also give you a sense of the overall condition of your garage door.
- Examine the Hardware – The garage door is a colossal moving structure of your home, but it is also made of various small parts. You should regularly investigate the physicality of your garage door’s hardware and check for any signs of wear and tear. For example, you should inspect the door rollers to see if they are cracked or bent, check the cables and springs for rust and warping, examine the door tracks and hinges, and likewise.
- Lubricate the Mobile Parts of Your Garage Door – Multiple parts of your garage door, such as its tracks, springs, hinges, and rollers, need lubrication. If you do not oil your garage door regularly, the speed of depreciation increases.
- Cleaning – An unkempt garage door looks not only tacky but also is detrimental to its overall health and longevity. A simple DIY maintenance trick is regularly cleaning your garage door surface with clean water and gentle soap. You should also inspect the surface for insect damage, holes, chips, dents, etc. Likewise, do not forget to clean the debris and grime as their accumulation can damage the torsion springs.
By following some easy breezy maintenance tips at home, you can prolong the life of your garage door.
Despite all the DIY maintenance, professional servicing is of utmost importance for your garage door. Tune-ups typically entail a full-blow, top-to-bottom evaluation of your garage door, followed by repairs, lubrication, and balancing. You can get your garage door system maintained at any time of the year, but spring and all are ideal to do the same. There are several top-notch garage maintenance services in Edmonton, and with some research, you are sure to find a company that is compatible with your needs.